I am a writer of short stories and poetry and am currently working on my first mystery novel.
My first love was poetry, but I started writing fiction in early 2016. I won the Financial Crime Prize in the first short story competition I entered (the 2017 Scarlet Stiletto Awards) which was a huge motivator and I have been working on developing my craft since. I love creative writing as it’s a chance to unshackle my mind, and a legitimate way for a grown up to have imaginary friends.
I grew up in Melbourne’s east and have lived in East Gippsland, London, Portugal, Murchison on the Goulburn River and Elsternwick before settling in Warrandyte.
Some facts about me:
- As a kid I loved watching Mr Squiggle. I used to get my parents to make a squiggle on a piece of paper so I could turn it into a drawing. I think this is why I find writing competitions that include prompts fun. The prompts are like the squiggle you have to turn into a cohesive whole.
- I was a horse trainer and teacher of classical dressage for many years. Now I ride a bicycle.
- I used to be an acrobalance circus performer.
- I love good food – I’m an avid gardener and a devotee of the chef Yotam Ottolenghi.
- I believe strongly in the value concept of social justice despite my penchant for crime fiction and thrillers.
- I live with my partner and a dog the size of a small pony who is my running, gardening and writing companion.
- I have been lucky enough to travel widely for work and leisure and enjoy learning about other cultures, art and the natural environment.
- I took up surfing as an adult and it’s a lot of fun.
- In my day job I write briefings, corporate plans, website content, annual reports, research papers and speeches.
- I can’t watch TV programs like Utopia and The Hollowmen, they are too much like real life.
Image: my writing view, Warrandyte